Associate Professor, Department of Management Science and Engineering
Phone (86) (10) 62794867
Office 451 Weilun Building
Office Hours Wed. 15:45-17:15
Yong Liang is an associate professor of the Department of Management Science and Engineering in the School of Economics and Management at Tsinghua University, where he has been since 2014. Prior to joining the faculty of Tsinghua University, he worked for Google's techinical infrastructure team as an operations researcher to optimize Google's fleet, from designing rack configurations to planning service migrations.
He received a B.S. in Engineering Physics from Tsinghua University, an M.S. in Nuclear Engineering from Purdue University. He received his Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research from University of California, Berkeley. His research interests include the energy and IT systems optimization, supply chain management, and analytics.
1. Dynamic programming, stochastic optimization, and robust optimization theory and their applications in Operations Management
2. Energy economics, energy markets, and demand-side control
3. Supply chain management
1. Undergrads: Operations Management
2. Grads: Advanced Operations Research
Univ. of California, Berkeley:
1. Undergrads: Service Operations Design and Analysis
Joint Planning of Energy Storage and Transmission for Wind Energy Generation (with W. Qi, and Z-J M. Shen). Operations Research, 2015
Reliable Hub Location Air Transportation Network Design under Random Disruptions (with Hao Shen and Max Shen), 2019, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, accepted
Demand Side Energy Management under Time-Varying Pricing (with Tianhu Deng and Max Shen), IISE Transactions, 2018, accepted
Reliable Flexibility Design of Supply Chains via Extended Graph Expanders (with Hao Shen, Chung-Piaw Teo and Max Shen), Production and Operations Management, 2018, accepted
A Dynamic Programming Approach to Power Consumption Minimization in Gubbarrel Natural Gas Networks with Non-identical Compressor Unites, INFORMS Journal on Computing, 2018, accepted
A harmony search-based memetic optimization model for integrated production and transportation scheduling in MTO manufacturing (with Z. Guo, L. Shi, and L. Chen). Omega, 2015.
Stochastic Control for Smart Grid Users with Flexible Demand (with L. He, Z-J M. Shen, and X. Cao). IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, 4(4), 2013.
Thermostats for SmartGrid: Models, Benchmarks and Insights (with Z-J M. Shen, and D. Levine). the Energy Journal, 33(4), 2012
Selected working papers:
1. Data Center Network Design for Internet-Related Services and Cloud Computing (with Mengshi Lu, Max Shen, and Runyu Tang), under major revision at Production and Operations Management, 2019.
2. An FPTAS for the Omni-Channel Assortment Planning (with Yunzong Xu), in preparation, 2019
3. An Analytics Approach to Integrated Location, Inventory and Assorment Planning in Omni-Channel Retail (with Jian Chen, Hao Shen, and Max Shen), winner of the POMS-JD.com data-driven paper competition, 2019 POMS annual Conference, in preparation, 2019