Qing Liu is currently an Associate Professor (Tenured) at the School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, and an Associate Director of The Chinese University of Hong Kong – Tsinghua University Joint Research Center for Chinese Economy. He received a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Toronto in 2008, and Master in Economics from University of British Columbia in 2002, and Master in Economics from Zhejiang University in 1999.
Dr. Liu's main research interests are in International Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics, most notably in the real exchange rate, monetary policy. A large part of his current research focuses on the Macroeconomic implications on Chinese Economy, especially in understanding exchange rate behavior, monetary policies and investment in China. He has published research papers on leading economic journals such as China Economic Reviews, Economic Letters, International Economic Review, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of International Money and Finance, and Macroeconomic Dynamics. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation in China, Ministry of Education, MINORU KOBAYASHI CHINA ECONOMIC RESEARCH FUND, Tsinghua University, etc.
At Tsinghua University, Dr. Liu has been teaching Monetary Economics for undergraduate; Advanced Macroeconomics and Open Macroeconomics for PH.D. students, and International Finance for students of MSC in Finance.
Dr. Liu is currently an Associate Editor of China Economic Review.
1. “Currency Areas and Monetary Coordination,” (with Shouyong Shi), International Economic Review, Volume 51, August 2010, Pages 813-836.
2. “Marginal Likelihood Calculation for Gelfand-Dey and Chib Method,” (with Chun Liu), Economics Letters, Volume 115, Issue 2, May 2012, 200–203.
3. “Oil Price Stabilization and Global Welfare”, (with Kang Shi, Juanyi Xu and Zhouheng Wu), Journal of Development Economics, Volume 111, November 2014, Pages 246–260.
4. “Labor Market Flexibility and the Real Exchange Rate,” (with Qingyuan Du), Economics Letters, Volume 136, Issue 2, November 2015, 13-18.
5. “On the Choice of Monetary Policy Rules for China: A Bayesian DSGE Approach,” (with Bing Li), China Economic Review, Volume 44, July 2017, Pages 166–185.
6. “Investigating the Role of Money in the Identification of Monetary Policy Behavior: A Bayesian DSGE Perspective,” (with Bing Li and Pei Pei), Macroeconomic Dynamics, January 2020, 1-43. doi: 10.1017/S1365100519000762.
7. “Structural Changes and the Real Exchange Rate Dynamics,” (with Jiandong Ju, Justin Lin and Kang Shi), Journal of International Money and Finance, April 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.jimonfin.2020.102192
8. “Changes in Earnings Inequality: the Role of China’s Preferential Lending Policy”, (with Chong-En Bai and Wen Yao), Journal of Development Economics, Volume 145, June 2020